Vacation Mini Album - Part 1



I'm trying to be better about scrapbooking our vacations on a timely basis.  It's so much easier to record the details when the experiences are fresh in my memory.  As evidence of this, I still have two big trips (from 2008 and 2014) that have yet to be documented.  I was initially overwhelmed by the sheer number of photos I took on those vacations and the longer I go without scrapping them, the more daunting the task becomes.  But I digress...

My husband and I traveled to Canada in early June and visited Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.  Shortly after we returned home, I edited and printed a number of photos and came up with a plan to record my memories of our trip.  Last year I documented our vacation in a traveler's notebook (you can see that here) and I liked that format but wanted to try something a bit different.  My friend Elise, owner of Feed Your Craft, uses a planner to document everyday life and I love how her pages look.  You can see a few of her pages here and here.  I like the size (smaller than "traditional" pages but larger than a traveler's notebook) and was intrigued by the idea of using planner pages as background pages so I decided to try this for myself.



Since I don't keep a planner (why be organized when my system of scribbling notes all over the place works so well?!) so I made a quick trip to Michael's to see if I could find some planner pages.  I already had this 8.25X9.75 album from Die Cuts With a View so I was looking for pages to fit.  I ended up purchasing two packs of planner pages from the Happy Planner/Me and My Big Ideas - they are 7X9 and contain both graph and lined papers.  The holes are punched to fit in the MAMBI Happy Planner, which didn't match the holes in my album.  I just trimmed the edges and re-punched them with a 6-hole punch that I have.  To give my pages a little more stability for the photos and embellishments I planned to add, I adhered two pages together.


I decided to make a kit of supplies to keep me on track - not having to search for product would help me quickly put this album together.  I pulled stamp sets from a variety of sources (Ali Edwards, Kelly Purkey, Feed Your Craft), some labels, and my favorite puffy stickers from Elle's Studio.  I also printed some digital pocket cards and embellishments from several shops (In A Creative Bubble, Paislee Press, One Little Bird) and picked out some leftovers from past Ali Edwards Story kits.  It was a little odd but strangely freeing not to pull any patterned paper or white cardstock but the planner pages would give me what I needed for background pages.


I knew I wanted something to hold a few pieces of memorabilia and so I added two plastic envelopes.  Both were packaging from Ali Edwards' products and I wasn't sure which size would be best so I included them both.  When I bought the planner pages at Michael's, I also picked up some Recollections brand small planner refill pages that were on clearance and so I added them to the rest of the mix.  Now, time to begin...

My goal with this album was to capture the highlights of our trip; I didn't intend to document every single minute.  When I selected photos, I chose ones that represented specific moments and memories.  I printed all the photos on my Canon selphy.  Most of the photos are squares but I did supplement those with a few 4x6 and smaller prints.

Here are the first few spreads.  My title page:



Additional pages:




Here's a spread which includes the smaller planner pages, which were great when I wanted to include more photos or words but didn't have enough to fill the larger pages:




I have more pages to share from this album, along with a couple of tips I learned while putting it together.  I'll be back in a few days with more - thanks for stopping by!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs