Week in the Life, so far...


I am once again participating in Ali Edwards' "Week in the Life" project.  (You can read more about the concept on Ali's website here.)  I'm almost at the halfway point and wanted to share my thoughts on how it's going so far.

I admit that I was less than enthused when I woke up on Monday morning and remembered that this would be the first day of photo and note takingSince I completed the physical documenting of my 2016 WITL just over two months ago (you can read about that here), my appreciation for this project was fresh in my mind, which helped me get started.  And when I scrolled through my camera roll on Monday evening, I was very happy that I'd gotten over my initial lack of enthusiasm.

I will be taking all my photos with my iPhone.  I don't have a fancy camera but even if I did, I'm not sure that I would drag it around with me all week.  In contrast, I almost always have my phone with me and I'm satisfied with the quality of photos it produces.


There are routines and activities that occur multiple times during the project, and since I've done WITL several times before, I have very similar photos of those repetitive events.  I am trying to capture different perspectives of those activities this time around.  For example, I pick up groceries at least once a week and I usually document this by taking a photo of the grocery cart.  On Monday, I took this photo instead:


It's not the world's most riveting photo, but I like that it shows my reusable bag, a bit of the parking lot and the outside of the store.  I probably will take my traditional shopping cart photo later in the week too since it captures the food we eat, but I like seeing another view of my trip.

I am also trying to get more of me in this project, either by taking selfies or by using the timer on my phone.  I'm not very comfortable with the former and the latter certainly involves a lot of trial and error but I'm learning.  I've already taken more photos of myself in the first three days than I did in all seven last year - they won't appear on my social media but they will appear in my WITL album.


I documented my previous WITL projects in 8.5 x 11" page protectors but there's no more room in the album I used.  I ordered Ali's gray striped album along with her kit and will be documenting in 6x8 this time around.  I've seen that some people set up pages in advance which I considered but never got around to doing.  I will probably start and end each day's spread with a 6x8 photo and I'm trying to keep that in mind as I take photos each day.  Right now my intention is that those photos be of something significant that happened on those days or be what I think of first when I remember each day but I'll see what I have when the week is over and it's time to print.


I'm also considering adding journaling directly onto many of the photos before printing and so I'm trying to frame the photos to include more "white space" to hold that journaling.  I may add the words in photoshop or by writing right on the photo - again, I'm waiting to see what I have when the week is over.


I noticed last year that some of my WITL photos essentially do double-duty.  They're included in this project but they also give my ideas for telling more detailed stories on layouts.  I want to keep better track of these ideas and get those richer stories told.  The photo below documents a weekly chore but it also inspires me to tell the story of how much I love the scent of clothes dried outside on the clothesline:


And finally, I don't intend for this project to be a moment by moment recap, but rather a representative picture of my week.  I will miss things, and it's ok.  I will not document every meal I eat, every cup of coffee I drink, every television show I watch, or every errand I run. I don't want to be so caught up in capturing details that I get overwhelmed and don't enjoy the project or give up before the week is over.  I'm pleased with what I've got so far - and now on to the rest of the week!


Thanks for stopping in today!  If you're participating in WITL, how are you doing so far?

2 comments :

  1. Great attitude!! I have gotten to be pretty good friends w/my timer on my phone camera this week. I have also chosen a few things to document every day -the sky is one- & other things I document how they are different each day. plus, this is the last year at my current job so I am working very hard to get photos that document what I really do at work. Thanks for sharing yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always admired your photos and the little snatches of life you capture. The fact that many of them are taken with an iphone is hugely inspiring! Clearly, you have "the eye"

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger · Theme by Pish and Posh Designs